The Mount Wilson Village Hall is located on The Avenue in the centre of the village of Mount Wilson, opposite the Mt Wilson/ Mt Irvine Rural Fire Brigade Fire Station.

The hall provides an important community focus for the local community. It serves as a general community hall and meeting place together with an emergency support and relief centre for residents, volunteers, and fire fighters during bushfires and other emergencies.

The hall is available for hire, please see  'hiring the Mt Wilson Village Hall' 

The building was constructed in timber with an iron roof with funds raised by the Mount Wilson community in 1951 . In 1957 the property was transferred to Blue Mountains City Council under Section 355 of the NSW Local Government Act 1919 and a Section 377 committee elected for the management of the hall.  The Village Hall is classified as community land under the Local Government Act 1993.  

In recent years a combination of council and community funds have been spent on gradually upgrading the Hall, improving the amenities and comfort of the Hall and making it ready for use if required as an emergency centre.


  •  
  •  

The contact details for the Mt Wilson Village Hall are listed below:

All enquiries: email: mThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

The Mt Wilson Village Hall is available for hire by groups or individuals. The Hall provides a pleasant setting with tables, chairs, good heating and a well equiped functional kitchen. It has a covered outdoor area which allows functions to flow from inside the Hall to the outside covered area.

There is an accessible parking space, entrance and toilet

The fixed scale of fees and charges is set by Blue Mountains City Council.

For bookings email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

 

 

 

The Mount Wilson Village Hall is managed by a 377 committee of Blue Mountains City Council under the the NSW Local Government Act 1993. The committee is made up of local residents representative of the users of the hall.

The Committee for the Village Hall is elected every four years after the BMCC elections for Councillors

The current committee is:

Role Person
Chair Judy Tribe
Deputy Chair Ted Griffin
Treasurer Ted Griffin
Secretary Helen Freeman
Booking Officer Milba Kirk
Committee Member Beth Raines
Committee Member Steve Woolfenden
Committee Member  
Committee Member  

 A Mount Wilson Village Hall Management Committee AGM is held every year (usually in March) to give a report to the community of the hall activities in the past year and to present the plans for the coming year. Everyone is invited to attend the AGM.

The Village Hall was built in 1950 - 51.

The idea for a Village Hall in Mt Wilson for community functions started with Mariamne Wynne of “Wynstay” in the 1930s, who initiated the formation of the Mt Wilson Village Hall Committee consisting of Helen Gregson of “Windyridge”, Fred Mann of “Stone Lodge (now “Yengo”), I Sloan and Marjorie Sloan of “Bebeah”, George and Isa Valder of “Nooroo” and Suzanne White of “Withycombe. In 1936 Helen Sloan of “Bebeah purchased the land from Peter Kirk and donated it as the site for the Hall. As early as September 1936, specifications for a ‘hall’ had been drawn up by Robert J. Cranna of Wollstonecraft at an estimated cost of £650, a considerable sum in the 1930s. Money was raised from garden openings and sports gatherings but it became evident that there was little chance of raising the required sum in a short time. It was not until 1947, 18 months after World War 11 had ended that the Trustees felt ready to undertake the Hall project. Now building materials were in very short supply and all were government controlled. Finally consent was granted on 3rd September 1948 by the Department of Building Materials to construct a Village Hall, comprising the main hall, pantry and terrace. The cost was to be £1,850, which contrasted greatly from the 1936 estimate. Lack of funds was to be the cause of prolonged delay. After much fundraising, a bequest from Nellie Gregson of £500 and substantial donations the funds available were well over £1,000.

Tom Kirk, being a man of timber, provided an absorbing record of where the trees came from for the actual construction of the Hall: “with the exception of the flooring, all timber was cut by himself and his employee, Harry Twaddle. Bearers and floor joists came from a white gum from the post office block…the frame came from stringy bark cut from “Lambs Hill” weatherboards from Mountain Ash, also from “Lambs Hill”. Timber was cut in Tom Kirk’s mill (near the Cathedral of Ferns). There the Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus Oreades) was cut into planks, carted to Syd and Albert Kirk’s mill on Owen Wynne’s property, dressed with the planer, and then returned to Tom’s mill to be splayed into weatherboards.

On 8th August 1952 the Hall was registered as a Public Hall and was granted a license to show 16mm films.

In November 1952 Owen Wynne, secretary of the Hall Committee, wrote to the BMCC stating that the Hall had been recently completed and that the committee was to consider the future ownership and control of the Hall. So began a long period of protracted debate with the BMCC over transferring the ownership of the land and the Hall from the Trustees to the Council. Eventually Owen Wynne wrote “Our committee has decided to ask Council to take over the Hall under Section 527 of the Local Government Act and to delegate the power of control and management to a local committee approved by Council. The Memorandum of Transfer was forwarded on 29th April 1957 for signing by the Hall trustees and on 19th August 1957 the first Committee was appointed under Section 530A of the Local Government Act. The members of that first Committee were Richard Owen Wynne, Duncan M McCallum, Eric (Peter) Kirk, R. H. Thorpe, K. Thomas and Ruth Scrivener.

Taken from the Mt Wilson Historical Society, pdf Historical Papers 1.1 : A History of the Mt Wilson Village Hall (287 KB) by Mary Reynolds