Click on the organization's title for access to the respective websites


Blue Mountains Association of Cultural Heriatge Organisations

BMACHO, the Blue Mountains Association of Cultural Heritage Organisations Incorporated, was established in 2006 to support the work of the numerous organisations in the cultural heritage field in the Blue Mountains.  In recent years, it has expanded to include neighbouring districts such as Lithgow, Penrith and the Hawkesbury.

Our Member Organisations consist of societies, museums, archives, businesses, gardens and institutions. Together, these represent 1,500-2,000 local residents. In addition there are a limited number of Individual Members to support its work.  These are invited professionals who make a significant contribution to the heritage sector in the region.


Blue Mountains Historical Society

The Blue Mountains Historical Society was established in 1946 by the Blue Mountains County Council. The Society is run by volunteers through a Management Committee, and also has a modern building housing the research centre, a library and meeting rooms.


Everglades House & Gardens | National Trust

A spectacular, world-renowned garden set against a backdrop of bush and sweeping views. In the middle of it all lies a stunning Art Deco home. A beautiful spot to wander, to picnic, or to enjoy a Devonshire tea.


Kurrajong - Comleroy Historical Society

Kurrajong-Comleroy Historical Society, was formed in 2001 to research, preserve and promote the heritage of "The Kurrajong", the district north and west of the Hawkesbury River in the Hawkesbury local government area of New South Wales, Australia.   The millstones which form our logo were used in the watermills dating back to the early days in the area. They are on display in Kurrajong Village.


Lithgow & Distric Family History Society

Includes information on the society library and research inquiries.


Mid Mountains Historical Society

A group of people who came together in May 2000 to set up a small organisation with a specific interest in the history and heritage of the Mid Mountains area.


Colonial Inn Museum - Mudgee Historical Society

The Mudgee Historical Society Inc collects and displays items and documents pertaining to the history and culture of the Mudgee district, promotes its history, and provides a family history research service from its extensive archives.


Museums & Galleries of NSW

The Museums & Galleries of NSW website supports and promotes volunteer, artist run and professionally staffed public museums and galleries, and Aboriginal cultural centres, throughout NSW.


 

New South Wales | National Trust of Australia

The National Trust of Australia (NSW) is a community-based, non-government organisation, committed to promoting and conserving Australia's indigenous, natural and historic heritage through its advocacy work and its custodianship of heritage places and objects.


Museum Of Applied Arts And Sciences

Australia’s contemporary museum for excellence and innovation in applied arts and sciences. Established in 1879, the venues include Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and Discovery Centre. It is uniquely placed to demonstrate how technology, engineering, science and design impact Australia and the world.


Royal Australian Historical Society

The Royal Australian Historical Society (RAHS), Australia’s oldest historical organisation founded in Sydney in 1901, promotes the study of Australian history. The Society organises events, produces publications and provides research advice and support to its membership network of individuals and local historical societies, with a particular focus on New South Wales local and community history. Based at History House, 133 Macquarie Street, Sydney, the library contains a valuable research collection of more than 60,000 items on Australian history.


 

 

Welcome to the Turkish Bath Museum, located in the grounds of the Wynstay Estate. Wynstay, then known as Yarrawa, was the first property to be established in Mt Wilson in 1875, by Richard Wynne, the first Mayor of Burwood NSW and the benefactor of the Wynne Art Prize at the Art Gallery of NSW. The evidence now available suggests that Richard Wynne built the Turkish Bath in the 1880s for his wife Mary Ann, who had been in poor health. His library shows us that Richard Wynne had a keen interest in natural therapies and in the therapeutic benefits of Turkish Baths.

The Turkish Bath is an unusually fine example of the late Victorian style of architecture, with polychrome brickwork and Italianate details. It also bears some Turkish allusions in the red-brick cross pattern along the upper exterior walls. The brickwork throughout is skillfully laid and finished with fine tuck-pointing. For insulation against rapid loss of heat the 450mm double cavity walls were a most unusual feature for those times.

Richard Wynne had come to Australia as an assisted migrant from Dublin in 1842. He was described on the ship's manifest as a bricklayer, and according to family tradition he made the darker red bricks in the building from local clay.

The stained and hand-painted glass windows, identified as having been made in England in the 1880s, are a rare and beautiful feature of the building. The elaborate turret has oval timber louvres for ventilation, an ornate cast-iron filial and other ornamentation. Cast-iron cresting extends along the ridge of the roof. The original corrugated roof sheeting was only replaced in 2010 with galvanised steel barrel-rolled in Adelaide to match the original.

The three main rooms have tiled floors which slope downward from a centre ridge to floor-level wall vents. The original ceilings, covered by a 1920s adaptation of the building, were concrete and coke barrel-vaulted structures, similar to one that may still be seen in the basement area.

In 1995 the owners of Wynstay began planning, with other interested local people, to make this fascinating building available to the community to set up a museum of local history. In 1996 this dream became a reality when the building and its precinct was leased to the local historical society for a period of 50 years at a nominal rental of $2 per year. With the help of local fundraising and generous financial support from all levels of government, the building was conserved and refurbished and in the Spring of 1997 was officially opened by Ms. Hazel Hawke, who at the time was Chairperson of the NSW Heritage Council. At the same time a spectacular exhibition was opened to celebrate the Centenary of the Wynne Art Prize, displaying paintings by past winners of this award.

The Museum is now open to the public regularly, with volunteer guides on hand to tell about the exhibitions of local history, the building and many other heritage-listed sites in this garden village.

The wrought iron gate to the Museum area was recently made by Scott Leonard, a local resident and metalworker.

A very interesting historical paper pdf Historical Paper No 6 The Turkish Bath in 19th Century Australia (1.45 MB) is linked here; this published paper, along with others, are found on the Mt Wilson and Mt Irvine Historical Society section of this website.

Tours

Booked tours can be arranged at any time via the Society’s email address - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 33 - September 2018 (3.98 MB)

pdf Mt Wilson & Mt Irvine newsletter No 32 - July 2017 (1.44 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 31 - February 2016 (1.57 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 30 - February 2015 (1.22 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 29 - February 2014 (1.54 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 28 - August 2013 (1.02 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 27 - February 2013 (1.68 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 26 - August 2012 (736 KB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 25 - February 2012 (1.31 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 24 - August 2011 (2.90 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 23 - February 2011 (2.55 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 22 - September 2010 (3.65 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 21 - February 2010 (1.55 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 20 - August 2009 (1.87 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 19 - February 2009 (1.26 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 18 - August 2008 (2.07 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 17 - February 2008 (1.67 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 16 - July 2007 (1.08 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 15 - February 2007 (1.49 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 14 - August 2006 (3.61 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 13 - February 2006 (576 KB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 12 - July 2005 (1.58 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 11 - November 2004 (2.27 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 10 - December 2003 (1.96 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 9 - December 2002 (1.10 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 8 - March 2002 (1.76 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 7 - April 2001 (1.54 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 6 - August 2000 (1.62 MB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 5 - October 1999 (970 KB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 4 - April 1999 (955 KB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 3 - September 1998 (1014 KB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 2 - February 1998 (896 KB)

pdf Historical Society Newsletter No 1 - August 1997 (564 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 1 Village Hall & Du Faur (287 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 2 Political & Legal Luminares (263 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 3 Mudgee & Mt Wilson (405 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 4 Elsey Station & the Wallace Connection (192 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 5 Prehistory of the Blue Mountains (223 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 6 The Turkish Bath in 19th Century Australia (1.45 MB)

pdf Historical Paper No 7 Distinguishing Features of Mt Wilson and Mt Irvine (137 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 8 Mervyn Owen Wynne (382 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 9 Remembrance Day 2009 (585 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 10 Remembrance Day 2010 (655 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 11 A History of the Postal and Telephone Services to Mount Wilson (9.22 MB)

Mary Reynolds' paper 'A History of the Postal and Telephone Services to Mount Wilson' was first published in the Blue Mountains History Journal, Issue 2, September 2011, pp.36-50 

pdf Historical Paper No 12 Remembrance Day 2011 (197 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 13 The Four Sumpter Horses of Blaxland, Lawson & Wentworth (527 KB)

pdf Historical Paper No 14 Axemen and Sawmills (1.30 MB)

pdf Remembrance Day 2012 (363 KB)

(Originally published in Newsletter No 27 - Feb 2013, but not converted to a Historical Paper)

pdf Remembrance Day 2013 (989 KB)

(Originally published in Newsletter No 29 - Feb 2014, but not converted to a Historical Paper)

pdf Historical Paper No 15 Wollangambe The river that is really a mountain (2.23 MB)

pdf Historical Paper No 16 Bess Knight Brown of Mount Irvine and Blackheath (135 KB)

pdf Historical Paper 17 Some Perspectives About Mt Wilson in 20th Century (876 KB)

pdf Remembrance Day 2014 (835 KB)

(Originally published in Newsletter No 30 - Feb 2015, but not converted to a Historical Paper)

pdf Remembrance Day 2015 (830 KB)

(Originally published in Newsletter No 31 - Feb 2016, but not converted to a Historical Paper)

Subcategories

The Historical Society has, from time to time, collected or published articles about Mt Wilson and Mt Irvine people, properties or events.

Listed in this section are catalogues of photograph albums held by the Mt Wilson/Mt Irvine Historical Society.

The links below will show a unique number and description for each of the photographs stored in relevant album. In general, the description has been transcribed from the handwritten notes on the back of the photographs.

The original photos are held by the Mt Wilson/Mt Irvine Historical Society.